We specialise in the innovative use of new technology to provide high-quality and cost-effective structural engineering services.
We gained wide recognition for the innovative relocation of the 3000-tonne Museum Hotel. Since then major commercial new builds combined with refurbishment and strengthening projects of varying size and scale have further broadened our capabilities and our reputation.
We have provided consultation services to the Department of Building and Housing, Wellington City Council, NZ Society for Earthquake Engineers, NZ Historic Places Trust and Geological and Nuclear Sciences, especially in the field of earthquake engineering and seismic strengthening.
Our work continues to receive awards from industry groups such as ACENZ, Property Council, New Zealand Concrete Society, New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering and NZ Wood.
Our areas of specialist expertise include:
- Multi-storey and mixed-used commercial structures
- Simple and complex high-end domestic construction
- Environmentally sustainable design
- Seismic appraisal, including heritage structures
- Seismic strengthening
- Base isolation and other low-damage design technology
- Innovative high performance timber structures
- Cable structures
- Hybrid and post-tensioned structures
- Basements, raft slabs and diaphragm walls
- Lifting and moving buildings
- Complex 3D and non-linear analysis
- Large span, large volume spaces
- Temporary works design
- Sculptures and unusual forms
Dunning Thornton Consultants is a quality assured supplier of professional services, having held ISO 9001 accreditation since 1995.